Monday, October 20, 2008

Another Reason I Don’t Shop at Fred Meyer

The biggest reason, of course, is that most of the things I buy can be purchased for less at other stores.

I don’t particularly like Fred Meyer. I make no secret of it. In fact, I’m happy to tell anyone who asks. I suppose I ought to get over it. The store in Lacey was always rude to me when I was in high school. I felt like everyone was watching me, and they treated me like a worthless degenerate each time I was in the store. In fairness, I occasionally overheard some of my classmates at school mention shoplifting from the store; nevertheless, I never did anything but buy stuff the way I should.

My wife says I can get therapy.

I have been to the store many times since I was a teenager, and they do treat me well now. I will also magnanimously admit they often have good deals on a few items and usually have a good price for milk.

The past aside, I went into a Fred Meyer store and saw this:


Kroger, incidentally, is the Fred Meyer store brand.

Capitalization errors are too common as it is. But, really, who doesn’t know to capitalize America. That is the kind of thing you expect from dumb students who think capitalization doesn’t matter and from people who hate our country.

I taught many students who honestly think capitalization doesn’t matter. I will grant that there are times when aesthetics lead a company or publisher to use no caps or all caps. I assume that is what happened here. But who was ignorant or hateful enough to fail to spot that not capitalizing America would make the company look dumb.

Did you also notice they capitalized the company name but not America?

No comments: